Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
Preoperative Instructions for General Anesthesia
Please follow these instructions to prepare for your oral surgical procedure with IV Sedation.
1) DO NOT eat or drink anything, not even water, for at least 6 hours prior to your appointment, to do otherwise may be life threatening.
2) You must bring a driver. You must have a responsible adult drive you home from your oral surgery appointment and they must wait for you in our office during your surgery. (this DOES NOT include a taxi, Uber, or Lyft drivers) You are NOT permitted to drive or operate dangerous machinery for at least 24 hours after your general anesthetic.
3) DO NOT wear jewelry, dark colored fingernail polish, or contact lenses.
4) Please wear a short sleeved shirt and comfortable clothing. Please do not wear a turtle neck shirt.
5) DO NOT smoke, drink alcohol, or take any recreational drugs for at least 48 hours prior to your appointment.
6) If you were given a prescription for antibiotics to pre-medicate with, please take the antibiotics as directed with no more than 2 ounces of water, one hour prior to your scheduled appointment.
7) Take all of your prescribed medications with a few sips of water as you normally would unless you are instructed otherwise by your surgeon.
8) If you have asthma, please bring your inhaler with you to your surgical appointment.
9) If the patient is a minor, a parent or legal guardian must accompany the patient to the surgical appointment, unless prior arrangements have been made with our office.